Sadick Adams’ hattrick sinks Hearts, gives Kotoko 9th FA Cup

Sadick Adams scored a first-half hattrick to help Asante Kotoko secure their 9th FA Cup crown at the Tamale Sports stadium.

The former Berekum Chelsea attacker scored inside 90 seconds to give the Porcupine Warriors the opener and added two more goals on the half-hour mark and on the stroke of half-time to give Kotoko a 3-0 lead going into the break.

Hearts Captain Thomas Abbey scored in the second half for an improved Hearts of Oak side but it only counted for consolation as Kotoko wrapped up an impressive victory over their rivals.

The 27-year-old’s first-half hat-trick led the Porcupine Warriors to a stunning 3-1 win at the Tamale Stadium and gave Steven Polack, who was uncertain about his future ahead of the final, his first major silverware as head coach of Kotoko.

Kotoko had the better of the first 45 minutes, dominating possession and pinning the Accra side in their own half. Saddick Adams, found in space by Kwame Boahen, shimmied two markers and slotted the ball home to give Kotoko the lead.

The former Atletico Madrid youth player doubled the lead from the spot after Obed Owusu was fouled by Richard Akrofi.

Adams netted the third goal on the stroke of halftime. He rounded the Hearts goalkeeper with his first touch and tucked the ball into the goal with his second.

Hearts upped their game in the second-half but not stage a comeback. However, they grabbed a consolation goal scored by Thomas Abbey.


Kotoko have thus won the last bragging rights of the season, the GH¢50,000 prize money as well as a place in the CAF Confederation Cup competition for next season.

Right after the break, Hearts of Oak tested Felix Annan for the first time, but the diminutive shot-stopper dove to push Cobbinah’s effort just wide. From the corner, Kotoko quickly turned defence into attack with Emmanuel Gyamfi sprinting past Malik Akowuah on the halfway line.

The former Medeama Man, who had been booked for an earlier silly challenge, dragged Gyamfi back in the attempt to stop him. It was a bookable offense but referee Latif Adaari chose to keep his card in his pocket. Hearts fans breathed a sigh of relief but Kotoko fans were livid.

But from the Freekick, Kotoko won the penalty; off another moment of madness from Hearts of Oak’s defense. This time, Inusah Musah dragged back Sadick Adams as he readied to take a shot in the area. The former Berekum Chelsea man stepped and converted it to make it 2-0.

Hearts of Oak’s day went from bad to worse on the stroke of halftime. Vincent Atinga attempted to head a back pass to his goalkeeper but the header was weak and Sadick run through to pick the loose ball, rounded Ben Mensah and finishes off for his hattrick.

Hearts of Oak started the second half with more intensity and creating chances but Kotoko remained resolute. Patrick Razak and and Kizito with feeble efforts cleared by the Kotoko defence.

Nutall poured more men forward, hooking the poor Akowuah for striker Cosmos Dauda as he went in search of a way back into the match.

On 60 minutes, Hearts of Oak’s incessant pressure paid off as Thomas Abbey scored to reduce the deficit, connecting Fatawu Mohammed’s cross with a dangling header past Felix Annan to make it 1-3.

The two teams observed a minute silence before kickoff in memory of the late goalkeeper Soulama Abdoulaye. 

Source: otecfmghana.com

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button