Nairobi DusitD2 hotel attacked by suspected militants

26

Suspected militants have attacked a luxury hotel complex in Nairobi, killing at least 15 people.

The compound in the Westlands district of the Kenyan capital, which houses the DusitD2 hotel as well as offices, was attacked by gunmen on Tuesday.

By the evening officials said the siege was over but gunfire and explosions were still heard early on Wednesday and a security operation is ongoing.

The Somalia-based militant group al-Shabab said it was behind the attack.

Police sources say 15 people have been killed, but an official number has not yet been confirmed by the government.

A US citizen is among the dead, according to the US State Department.

The fate of the attackers is also unclear.

How did the attack unfold?

The attack began at about 15:00 local time (12:00 GMT) when four gunmen threw bombs at vehicles in the car park before entering the lobby, where one blew himself up, police say.

A woman working in a neighbouring building told Reuters news agency: “I just started hearing gunshots, and then started seeing people running away raising their hands up and some were entering the bank to hide for their lives.”

 

At 20:00 GMT, Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i said all the buildings in the complex had been secured by security forces.

“The situation is under control and the country is safe,” he told reporters. “Terrorism will never defeat us.”

But just an hour later gunfire and sporadic explosions were reported in the area.

Security forces then combed their way through the building with reports saying frightened workers had barricaded themselves inside.

In the early hours of Wednesday, more than 100 people were rescued from the complex and taken to a nearby trauma centre.

About 30 people are being treated at Nairobi hospitals, media reports say, while the security operation is ongoing.

Source: BBC

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here