FeaturedGeneral NewsHealthLife Style

Ghana Ebola-free; stay alert, practice good hygiene – Akandoh to Ghanaians

Health Minister Kwabena Mintah Akandoh has assured Ghanaians that no case of Ebola has been recorded in the country or anywhere in West Africa, even as the government intensifies preventive measures following the World Health Organisation’s declaration of the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

Addressing the nation in Accra on Thursday, May 21, the Minister urged calm but stressed the need for heightened vigilance and strict adherence to safety protocols to prevent any possible outbreak in Ghana.

“Dear countrymen and women, the Ministry of Health over the past one week has issued two publications on Ebola. Last week, WHO declared Ebola as a public health emergency of international concern,” he said.

Mr. Akandoh explained that Ebola is a highly dangerous viral disease transmitted through direct contact with infected blood, body fluids, secretions, or contaminated materials.

“Ebola is a viral disease spread through direct contact with blood, body fluids, secretions, and contaminated surfaces or materials,” he stated.

He warned that individuals experiencing symptoms such as sudden fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, or unexplained bleeding should immediately seek medical attention at the nearest health facility.

“People experiencing symptoms such as sudden fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, or unexplained bleeding should immediately report to the nearest health facility,” the Minister advised.

Despite growing global concern over the outbreak, the Health Minister stressed that Ghana remains free of the virus.

“It is important to note that no cases have been recorded in West Africa, including our dear country, Ghana. However, it is said prevention is always better than cure,” he said.

The Ministry of Health has already issued public advisories urging citizens to practice regular hand hygiene and observe safety measures, particularly during public events and mass gatherings.

As part of the renewed preventive campaign, Mr. Akandoh called on Ghanaians to frequently wash their hands with soap under running water or use alcohol-based hand sanitisers.

“One, practice good hand hygiene. What this means is that we should wash our hands frequently with soap and running water or use hand sanitizers,” he said.

He also directed organisers of public gatherings to make handwashing facilities and sanitisers readily available.

“During mass gatherings, please also practice good hand hygiene and event organizers should provide hand washing stations and hand sanitizers,” he added.

The Minister further sought to reassure the public that the government is actively monitoring the situation and strengthening preparedness measures across the country.

“Dear countrymen and women, it is important to stress that presently the risk is low in Ghana. I would like to use this opportunity to assure everybody that the government is taking all the necessary measures to protect us all,” he said.

The WHO recently declared the Ebola outbreak in parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo a Public Health Emergency of International Concern after hundreds of suspected infections and dozens of deaths were reported.

Although the outbreak is currently concentrated in Central and East Africa, health authorities worldwide have heightened surveillance amid fears of cross-border transmission.

In Ghana, the Ministry of Health and the Ghana Health Service say surveillance, screening, preparedness, and response systems have been intensified at health facilities and points of entry to safeguard public health.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button